Thursday, August 9, 2007

First Day of School


Austin is old enough to be in school and we can hardly believe it. He started on August 1st and could hardly wait. A week before school started I went to the elementary to see about getting him registered and didn't realize that they are on year round, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer! Cam and I took him school shopping and he had so much fun. He kept singing "Happy Birthday to me" down the aisles. He thought it was just so cool that he got to pick out new clothes. We ended the evening with shakes at Arctic Circle.
We went to see his classroom 3 times before school started, he was just so excited and the countdown to his first day was just killing him. He was so ready for school. Once he started he was a little disappointed because they sat on the floor a lot and didn't do much homework. His teacher is great and very organized and good with the kids. I get to be a volunteer there once a week.
Austin loves homework, he practices his letters and numbers all day long. When he had his test on his skills with his teacher she asked him to count and he got all the way to 100 and she finally asked him to stop. She was very impressed saying that most kids can only count to 25 at his age. Austin then whispered in my ear, "she doesn't know that I can really count to 1000." He has also been put in the highest reading class. School is a bit boring for him, but he's made friends and can't wait to go every day. He didn't even cry when we dropped him off. His teacher even had to make him turn around to wave at us. He was just ready.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

Yeah! I'm the first to get to post on your new blog! And I'm so excited that you guys are doing one. It'll help me keep in touch with you and the kids better! I hope you like doing it.

It makes me so sad that my little Austy-Pausty is in school. But, I'm glad he is loving it. As far as the boredom thing goes....Landon was too. He read better than most in his class and kind of got into trouble because he would finish early and then pester his classmates. I got him a spiral notebook and told him to keep a "journal" in class. That way when he finished his work, he could pull it out and draw or write or whatever in it until everyone else was finished. He had three full books last year. So, maybe see if Austin wants to do that.

I miss you all so much! Are you guys coming up next weekend? That would be so great if you did.

Happy Blogging!

Santina said...

Too cute Holly! I can't believe Austin is already so big. My little Gianna is growing so fast already. I'm sure her first day of school will come too quickly. Austin is truly adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Ashlee said...

Hey Austin! It's Landon. It's cool that you went to school. That's very fun. Do you like kindergarten?

See you in a couple days! Bye!

Landon