Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas

I want to be able to say that Christmas was great this year, but it was only okay. I was so excited for Christmas this year and really into it. But my kids kind of soured my mood about Christmas. They loved all their presents and were grateful for them, but after they opened them I found everyone doing this....





Nobody was enjoying the new things they got. We don't buy a lot of toys in our home because of this, but they each get 1 new toy for Christmas and it was something they all really wanted and instead they are all playing with electronics that we already have. Then all they could think about was getting to their grandma Halle's and my parents house for more presents. It's almost as if they only care about the number of presents they get and not what is actually inside the box. I was irritated. We had enjoyable visits with everyone but when it came time to opening presents my children's faces were reflecting their like or distaste for what they opened. It made me want to take everything back to the store. So Cam and I talked that night about what we can do to improve our kids understanding of what Christmas is all about. We have so many fun traditions that we do throughout December and we've decided that maybe it's too much. We're going to keep things simpler this next year.

We did have a good Christmas, just different than other years. The thing I love most about Christmas is spending time with my family and extended family. I love that I can shut the rest of the world out and just focus on those I love most. I love that Cam had an entire week off of work and we did fun things with the kids. We went sledding, to the dollar movie, shopping for each other, game nights, movie nights, treat making days. It was so nice to be with my little family. I'm very grateful for them.



And here are my kids sporting their favorite gifts. Austin received a Max Hall and Jake Heaps card and can't put them down. Greta loves her new K'nex roller coaster, Alina loves her new jewelry box and Livvy Lou loves her baby doll.



No comments: