Monday, June 2, 2008

Tinkerbell April 9, 2008



Our male cat named Tinkerbell was put to sleep on April 9, 2008. Tinkerbell had a problem with digesting food. We noticed before we moved that he was having a hard time going to the bathroom so we took him to the vet and they put him on a special diet. He basically had kidney stones from the cheap food we were buying him. His new food cost $30.00 a bag, but the doctor was hoping it would help regulate him and then he could try a less expensive brand. Well after being on this food for about 6 weeks he got sick again. This time he was really sick though. He looked swollen in his tummy and he wouldn't even move. He kept throwing up and trying to pee, but couldn't. I took him to the vet again and they told me he had a raquet ball size blockage in his urinary tract. It would've cost us $800.00 to fix him but the problem is is that the food he's on is the longterm medication and it wasn't working. We didn't really have a choice but to put him down and the kids were very upset. They waited for Cameron to get home from work so we could say goodbye to him together as a family. I went with Tinkerbell while they put him down and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. We miss Tinkerbell very much and decided to bury him in our garden so the kids can remember him. They still wonder when he's coming home and Alina keeps telling me we need to get him from the doctor. It was a good teaching moment about death for our little family. Here is a conversation I had with Greta.


Greta: Mom what if Dad hurts Tinkerbell when he puts him in the hole
Mom: Greta Tinkerbell is dead, he can't feel anything.
Greta: So if I dropped a book on his head he wouldn't feel it.
Mom: Nope
Greta: What about if I stepped on him.
Mom: He can't feel anything because his spirit is in Heaven
Greta: Well then why can I see him and when is he going to wake up.
Mom: He won't wake up until we're resurrected, after we all die.
Greta: When am I going to die.
Mom: Not until your 85
Greta: Oh that's going to take foooorever!!!

Here is one with Alina:

Alina: That doctor killed my cat.
Mom: No he didn't Tinkerbell was so sick he had to die
Alina: I'm going to spit on the doctor, he killed my cat.

When we were in the vet with Tinkerbell the first time he was sick the kids were with me and were sitting on a bench in the room with Tinkerbell and the doctor. The kids were very worried and when the doctor said I think he's going to be okay Alina put an arm around Greta and Austin and said, "Boys and Girls Tinkerbell is not dead, so don't cry."

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Those conversations are priceless! Alina is going to hate you when she's 16 and you share this with her boyfriends! :0)

Shan baby! YA! WOO HOO said...

OK, so I'm not sure if I was suppose to laugh at this post...but I was rolling on the ground. I can actually hear the kids voices as I was reading it. Greta's last comment was hilarious and alina and the "boys and girls" comment? Priceless! Did you share these with mom and dad? What was Austy's take on it?